Prime your Body
Get key muscle groups primed and working together with exercises that get the body ready to swim fast. Prime with these 4 exercises choosing from your level (1,2 or 3) and do sets of 10 of each and repeating 3 times. You could try a small circuit.
Upper Body Push
- Box Push Up Assume a 4-point kneeling position. On the descent phase keep the elbows tucked into the side of the body. Ensure the lower back does not extend (straight from shoulders to buttocks)
- Knees Down Push Up Assume a 4-point kneeling position. On the descent phase keep the elbows tucked into the side of the body. Ensure the lower back does not extend (straight from shoulders to buttocks)
- Full Push Up Assume a 4-point position with hands and toes. On the descent phase keep the elbows tucked into the side of the body. Make sure the lower back does not extend or sag
Upper Body Pull
- Swimmer Pulse with Band. Maintain upright posture with shoulder blades pulled downwards and backwards. Perform a backwards pulsing action.
- Standing Row with Band. Maintain upright posture with knees slightly bent, shoulder blades pulled down and backwards. Palms facing inwards and parallel to each other at shoulder width.
- Pull Down with Band. Start with hands held outright at should height. Hold band with a closed grip and palms facing backwards. Bring arms down to waist keeping them straight.
Lower Body Push (Bilateral)
- Zombie Squat, Maintain an upright position. and arms straight at a 90 degree angle to body. Drop hip downwards. Controlled decent, activate glutes and perform a strong upward drive.
- Shoulder Squat. Place hands behind head, without applying pressure. Maintain and upright body position. Maintain an extended back, do not let the elbows fall forward.
- Band Overhead Squat. Hands above head holding band with hands a little wider than shoulders. Keep back and arms upright. Externally rotate shoulders to help maintain body extension. Make sure knees do not move in front of knees.
Lower Body Push (Unilateral)
- Hands on Hips Split Squat. Stand feet hip width apart. Hips and feet square and facing forward. Lower hips upwards and downwards now forwards and backwards.
- Hands on Hips Reverse Lunge. Feet hip width apart. Keep hips in neutral position downwards and square. Keep upper body upright and back straight.
- Top of Thigh Parallel Pistol Squat. Stand feet hip width apart with one foot on step to rear. Keep feet and knees pointing forwards. Hands on hips. Keep upper-body straight and upright.
2. Overview of Pre-water Mobility (RAMP system)
3. Raise Body Temperature Exercises
4. Activate Exercises
5. Mobilise Exercises
6. Prime your body Exercises
7. Post-water Static Stretching