Flexibility Training – Static Stretching
(thanks to models Charlie Hodges & William Le Merle)
For Effective Stretching:
- Perform stretching exercises when the body is warm, either after swimming or after a warm up taking part in a stand-alone flexibility session.
- Complete the full series of stretching exercises to work different muscle groups.
- Hold each stretch for 10-20 seconds.
- Repeat each of the stretching exercises 2-3 times in succession.
The ASA have also created a playlist of Stretching Demonstration Videos on You Tube
01. Triceps: Stand up tall, feet together. Take right arm and drop it down your back. Take left arm across and hold below your elbow and gently pull across. Repeat other side.
02. Shoulder Stretch: Stand tall and take right arm across your body. Take left arm under right, make a fist and bring fist to left shoulder. Keep both shoulders down. Repeat other side.
03. Chest Stretch: Place hands on lower back. Make sure you keep your core straight and pull elbows back. Keep shoulders down and do not push chest out.
04. Upper Back: Take both hands out in front and clasp together. Push hands away and drop head until you feel a stretch in your upper back.
05. Lower Back: Lie on your back with both feet flat. Pull your right knee into your chest, holding your thigh rather than your knee, until you feel a stretch in your lower back. Repeat other leg.
06. Buttock Stretch: Lie on your back with both knees bent and both feet flat on the floor. Cross your right leg over your left thigh. Grasp the back of your left thigh with both hands and pull your left leg towards your chest. Repeat other leg.
07. ITB (Illotibial Band): Cross your right leg behind the left leg. Keeping both feet flat on the ground lean to your left side and push your right hip out. Do not bend forward or back. Repeat other side.
08. Hip Flexor: Step right foot forward keeping both feet pointing straight ahead. Bend your front leg and push left buttock forward until you feel a stretch across your left hip. Repeat with other leg.
09. Thigh Stretch: Grab the top of your right foot behind you and gently pull your heel in to right buttock, keeping your knees touching. Repeat on other leg.
10. Hamstring: Stand with your right leg just in front of the other and hands on your hips. Keeping your right leg straight and toes pointing up, bend your left leg. Bend towards your right leg keeping your back straight. Repeat other leg.
11. Calf Stretch: Step your right leg forward. Bend your front leg and keep your back leg straight. Push your back heel into the ground and stand tall. Repeat other side.
12. Full Body: Stand Up Tall, feet together. Take both arms up, palms facing and arms touching ears. Stretch up as high as you can