Congratulations to Georgie Howell on being selected again this year for the England Para-Swimming National Development Programme!
On Sunday I accompanied Georgie to the Induction Day for this year’s programme.
After an introduction to the programme there was a log book review session. Georgie uses an electronic log book Smartabase which she has to complete every day, even when she does not swim. The athletes then had a session with their para-talent coaches, followed by an anti-doping workshop. We came together to look at the Athlete Scheme of Work and Stroke Analysis.
The Athlete Scheme of work covers:
1. Technique – stroke and skill analysis
2. Tactical – race processes and modelling
3. Physical – land training, pre and post pool routines
4. Psychological – goal setting and process mind-set
5. Lifestyle – effective nutrition and hydration for athletes
Georgie has to submit video with analysis on two strokes, including starts & turns. She even has to cook and submit photos of her meals to be used in a cookbook they plan to put together! The coaches will be following a similar scheme of work for their development too.
Georgie will also have two training camps to attend in November and June.